BikeDenver is a membership-supported organization serving as a voice for people all across Denver who desire a safe and convenient network for bicycling. We strive for a better Denver, made possible through more people bicycling, and are passionate about the future of bicycling in our city. Together with our partners, we work for change and drive the agenda to make bicycling a bigger and better part of how we move in and around our city.
BikeDenver has evolved successfully over the past 15 years, but is at a critical point in its organizational growth, thus requiring a great deal of ingenuity to move the mission forward. We are seeking an Executive Director who shares our vision, is a successful fundraiser, a clear communicator, a creative problem solver, and a dynamic relationship builder.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for the overall management of BikeDenver including strategic planning, advocacy and policy, financial management, fundraising, and staff management in order to fulfill the organization’s mission and meet annual goals. The Executive Director, with help from the Board of Directors, will focus building diverse revenue streams to sustain and grow the organization. A successful candidate will have experience leading advocacy work in areas such as sustainability, mobility, urban planning, land use, social justice and equity, public health or a related field. The Executive Director creates initiatives and implement programs designed to educate and engage diverse audiences about the individual and community benefits of bicycling. This highly visible position will direct efforts to improve Denver-area policies, practices, and physical infrastructure to support increased safe bicycling.
Fundraising and Development
• Development and execution of fundraising goals and strategies through an organizational fundraising plan including memberships, major donors, grants, foundations, earned income, and events.
• Establish diverse and sustainable funding to support and grow the organization.
• Manage membership retention and growth.
Administration and Finances
• Manage organizational finances, including annual operational budget and local, state and federal financial filings.
• Manage and mentor full-time BikeDenver staff (currently two staff) and any part-time or contract employees. Ensure the optimal organizational. structure, roles, responsibilities meet BikeDenver’s needs. Hire and manage project consultants as necessary.
• Provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the revenues and expenditures of the organization.
Advocacy and Education
• Develop and direct policy advocacy, public education, and outreach efforts focused on diverse audiences.
• Collaborate with partner organizations, neighborhood groups, business districts, and local decision makers, including the development of strategic coalitions and campaigns.
• Engage volunteers, supporters, funders, policy-makers, and members through creative programming and events.
• Direct organizational communications and outreach strategies.
• Develop innovative marketing and communications strategies that align with the organization’s brand, values, and target audience.
• Serve as point of contact for media requests.
• Develop and steward relationships with volunteers, community members, elected officials, partners, and stakeholders to further the mission of the organization.
Additional Qualifications and Skills:
• Ideal candidate will be self-motivated, able to perform and solve problems independently, and be able to make sound decisions with minimal oversight.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills are required, as well as experience communicating with media, elected officials, sponsors, and donors.
• The individual must possess the ability to delegate effectively and prioritize tasks within tight timelines.
• Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree preferred.
• 4+ years of management experience. Demonstrated fundraising and non-profit experience preferred.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office; Salesforce, Constant Contact, web and social media experience is preferred.
• Must be willing and able to work flexible hours including weekends, holidays and evenings, as necessary.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary range is $60,000-$68,000, commensurate with experience. Benefits include a stipend for health insurance, generous paid time off cell phone reimbursement, and more.
Please submit your resume, cover letter describing your interest in the position, and salary requirements to BikeDenver.org/careers.
Applications are due Friday, October 7, 2016. No phone calls please.
BikeDenver is a 501(c)(3) organization.
BikeDenver is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities.