Position Description Communications Manager
The Denver Streets Partnership (DSP) is a coalition of community organizations advocating for people-friendly streets in Denver.
On people-friendly streets, walking, rolling, biking, and transit are the irst choice of transportation for all people. Streets for people are living public spaces that connect us to jobs, schools, services and each other, and are designed to foster health, happiness, and opportunity for all.
The DSP mission is to reclaim Denver’s streets for people walking, rolling, biking, and using transit and build safe, healthy, and equitable communities.
A Steering Committee provides leadership for the DSP, and includes representatives from WalkDenver, Bicycle Colorado, American Heart Association, AARP, Groundwork Denver, All In Denver, Colorado Cross Disability Coalition, and CoPIRG.
The Communications Manager will be a staff position at Bicycle Colorado, which serves as the iscal sponsor for the Denver Streets Partnership. Bicycle Colorado is a membership-driven 501(c)3 nonproit founded in 1992. Bicycle Colorado is building a movement to enhance the health and happiness of Colorado communities by making bicycling safer and more accessible for all people in our state.
This is a unique opportunity for a talented and creative communicator to join our team and help shape the public-facing voice of the DSP. The Communications Manager will report to the DSP Executive Director and will be the primary content creator for our external communications, including social media, weekly email communications, website updates, blog posts, press releases, reports, videos, and more.
The Communications Manager must be a self starter capable of developing and sharing content on their own from the DSP voice. They will work closely with the DSP Executive Director to broaden awareness of the DSP’s vision, mission, policy campaigns, and neighborhood-based projects, and to motivate people to support DSP’s work. The primary audiences for DSP communications are Denver residents, businesses, and City leaders, as well as the local media.
The DSP is highly collaborative, including a team of staff that directly support the DSP, allied organizations that participate in the DSP Steering Committee, and broader coalition members. The Communications Manager will work in partnership with other members of the DSP team and Steering Committee, particularly the Program Coordinator and Neighborhood Organizer, as well as the Bicycle Colorado Communications and Policy Manager.
The Communications Manager will work primarily out of the DSP/Bicycle Colorado ofice in downtown Denver. Some evening and weekend work is required of all team members.
We encourage all applicants to learn more about our work at denverstreetspartnership.org before applying, as well as the work of founding coalition members Bicycle Colorado (bicyclecolorado.org) and WalkDenver (walkdenver.org).
● Work with the DSP Executive Director, Bicycle Colorado Communications and Policy Manager, and a consultant to develop a communications strategic plan for the DSP, and manage implementation of the inal plan.
● Serve as a spokesperson for the DSP as needed when the DSP Executive Director is not available to ill this roll, including speaking to the media, testifying at public hearings, presenting at community meetings, and otherwise speaking on behalf of DSP in public settings.
● Provide support for DSP policy advocacy and program work in various capacities.
● Develop and promote content for the DSP weekly email newsletter and website.
● Lead and coordinate the DSP social media strategy and posts across Facebook,Twitter and Instagram.
● Assist with outreach via Action Network (or similar platform) to the community toactivate communication to elected oficials in support of our advocacy efforts.
● Keep ingers on the pulse of walking, biking, and transit news locally, nationally andinternationally.
● Develop collateral that promotes DSP events, programs, and policy campaigns.
● Assist in developing position papers and fact sheets on policy issues.
● Provide basic graphic design and video editing support for WordPress websiteelements and other collateral pieces.
● Hire and manage contractors to provide graphic design, videography, or othercommunications support as needed and as resources allow.
● Develop and maintain contacts at local news outlets, prepare press releases, andield media inquiries, including serving as a spokesperson for the DSP and preparingother members of the DSP team or Steering Committee to ill this role.
● Contribute ideas, positive energy, creative problem-solving and a collaborative spiritto the team.
● Join DSP team meetings as well as DSP Steering Committee meetings to share ideasand advance the mission and vision of the organizationBackground and skills sought:Required
● A passion for walking, biking, and transit in urban settings● Experience in communications, marketing, or a related ield—writing and editing of professional communications is a must
● Strong public speaking skills
● Skilled at communicating in a concise, compelling and accessible manner aboutcomplicated topics
● Social media experience—particularly Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
● Attention to detail and accuracy
● Strong time-management and organizational skills
● Proiciency with Google Apps (e.g, Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Forms, etc.)
● Proiciency with WordPress and other communications platforms such as ActionNetwork or MailChimpDesired● Familiarity with urban transportation policy issues
● Proiciency with InDesign, Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator
● Basic photography and video editing skills
● Conversational Spanish or Vietnamese
The candidate will also be:
● A curious and self-directed learner
● Willing to take risks, relect on performance, learn from mistakes and improve
● Adaptable to unforeseen circumstances and able to remain professional in stressfulsituations
● Creative and persistent when faced with challenging tasks
● Highly collaborative and able to thrive in a team setting involving a diversity ofpartners
● A self-starter with the ability to work independently to achieve milestones and goalson schedule
● Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment
CompensationThe salary range for this position is $40,000 – $50,000 annually. Health insurance, vision, dental, major holidays, vacation, transit beneit and retirement plan match are included in the compensation package.
How to ApplyEmail resume, two to three writing and/or marketing samples and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with email subject line: First Name Last Name – DSP Communications Manager Application. Position open until illed. We will begin interviewing candidates in the first week of January.
Work ScheduleStaff work a 40-hour week, on average, over the course of a year. The ebb and low of work may require some longer days or weeks, including some evenings and weekends.OtherOur ofices are located in vibrant lower downtown Denver near bike paths, light rail lines and Union Station. Indoor bicycle parking is provided.