It is with much consternation that I have to announce that due to the weather’s impact upon the race course that I need to postpone the XTERRA Winter Park and Coyote Tooth Duathlon until next Saturday August 13th.
I arrived at the course this afternoon and the trail out of the reservoir is mud so slick and deep I could hardly stand. Runners will fall and bikers that don’t fall will have to stop an de-gunk their bikes. The conditions at the top of Blue Ridge Road involve a lot of standing water. The weather forecast for continued rain this afternoon and tonight.
I have not taken this decision lightly as I know you have put in a lot of effort and many have traveled here to race tomorrow. But safety is the most paramount concern I have and I could not in good conscience send you out on that course tomorrow.
If you can’t or don’t desire to race next week I will roll your registration over to our XTERRA race next year or the Lookout Mountain Triathlon. I can promise you that Dig Deep Sports will producing at least one XTERRA race in 2017. No need to email me to let me know if you are or aren’t racing, if you don’t show I will just roll into a future race (if you can’t race in 2017 use it in 2018)
This is the first time in 26 years of producing races that I have had to cancel an event, and please accept my deepest apologies.
Feel free to contact me if you need to, and I truly hope to see you all next Saturday. BTW- the weather forecast is for the rain to stop on Sunday and get dry and warm again through next week.