PeopleForBikes (PFB) seeks a full-time writer and editor to create, organize and manage content for our influential national nonprofit. The ideal candidate will bring strong communications and editing background and an eagerness to wear many hats as a part of a small, yet dynamic marketing and communications team. S/he will work quickly, diligently, and conscientiously on every project.
The candidate will produce strong written narratives (i.e. stories, blogs, social media posts) and combine them with imagery or videos to highlight the progress being made to improve bicycling in communities across America. We focus on sharing best practices with communities seeking inspiration for their own local work.
The content will reflect the various strategies being used by PeopleForBikes to engage a diverse set of stakeholders: the 2,000 bike business leaders and 1.3 million individual supporters who support PeopleForBikes, and those working in cities to make the bicycle experience better for everyone, including elected officials, bicycle industry representatives, bicycle retailers, business owners, city staff, nonprofit directors, church officials, political donors, political operatives, locally respected policy wonks, local-foundation grant officers, and politically savvy biking advocates.
The candidate should have a good grasp of national trends and overarching themes across the U.S. related to biking. We expect content to be fair, factual, and informative – celebrating the success of America’s best places to bicycle while offering advice for other communities to follow.
We are looking for a great storyteller with a journalist’s mindset who writes clearly and edits carefully. Other writing assignments could include editorials for news sources, feature stories for magazines, case studies, guidebooks, infographics, etc.
• Producing, organizing, and managing all content related to PeopleForBikes programs
• Acting as the lead writer for PeopleForBikes content, including editorials, feature
stories, case studies, and project reporting
• Serving as editor-for PeopleForBikes.org + PeopleForBikes communications
• Developing an editorial plan annually
• Working closely with staff managing social media, website, and email content to ensure consistency of presentation and voice
• Collaborating in the ongoing development of the PeopleForBikes and PlacesForBikes brands
• Working closely with the PlacesForBikes staff to adhere to budget guidelines and deliver on editorial objectives
• Managing relationships with other blog contributors and communications professionals
• Assisting in the ongoing development of the PlacesForBikes website, particularly as it
relates to the blog
• Monitoring and analyzing readership on the blog and striving to increase it
• Pitching blog content to other relevant blogs and news sources
• Monitoring and recording placement of blog content
• Contributing to content for PeopleForBikes social media accounts including Facebook &
• Attending and participate in scheduled staff meetings
• Other duties as assigned
PeopleForBikes is a dynamic, evolving organization where responsibilities are likely to change and grow, particularly based on the specific talents the successful candidate brings to the role. All members of our team take on new duties as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, or related field
• At least five years prior experience writing for a news outlet or blog
• Editing expertise for a variety of channels using AP Style
• Ability to write, report and copy edit pieces on tight timelines with little oversight
• Great project management skillset, with the ability to comfortably juggle multiple
projects and work on tight timelines
• Collaborative approach to work—the person will interface with multiple departments
and external partners
• Experience managing and creating content for the web
• Skills in photography and simple videography
• Working knowledge of HTML
• Ability to cooperate and communicate effectively with co-workers, supervisor and
• Team-oriented and able to accept ideas and strategy from other individuals
• Attentive to detail
• Willing to travel occasionally
• Knowledge of and passion for bicycling is a plus, but not required.
Compensation and benefits: This “at will” position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is offered, which includes health insurance, generous paid time off and optional participation in a deferred compensation plan.
To apply: Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples via email with “Writer + Editor” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application submission deadline is EOD Monday, September 30, 2019. Telephone inquiries will not be accepted. PeopleForBikes is an equal opportunity employer.