303 correspondent Amanda Knutson attended this years NAHBS in Salt Lake City, and was pleased to report the following Colorado companies scored some bling in awards-
Home State Pride:
Here’s the official recap from the show:
Salt Lake City, UTAH (March 12, 2017) – NAHBS – www.nahbs.com – NAHBS Judges announce the best custom bicycles built for the 2017 show. This year marked a record year for International exhibitors at the Handmade Show, along with over 180 total exhibitors. The awards are broken down by three categories of Riding Discipline, Construction, and Overall Design. NAHBS’s 14th edition will take place Feb 16th -18th in Hartford Connecticut. The NAHBS award winners are as follows.
RIDING DISCIPLINE DIVISION
Fully complete bikes, paint and component choices factor into the judging (aesthetic impact and correctness of the discipline)
• Best City Bike/ Utility Bike – Shamrock Cycles
• Best Road bike – David Kirk
• Best Mountain Bike – Skylar
• Best Cyclocross Bike – Donhue
• Best Gravel Bike – Mosaic Cycles
• Best Track Bike – LOW
• Best Tandem Bike – Santana
• Best Experimental Bike – Rock West Composites
• Best Artisan Bike – Black Sheep
Construction categories: All bikes presented for the construction categories (lugged, fillet-brazed, TIG-welded and carbon layup) are presented as naked frames. To make the frames easier to inspect, they are presented with a fork, headset and stem. Painted bikes are deemed ineligible.
OVERALL DESIGN DIVISION
Theme: These are complete bicycles with a description of the theme, concept or heritage the frame builder is portraying. These bicycles will be judged with an eye toward the overall execution of the theme.
• Best New Builder – SaltAir
• Best Columbus Build – Breadwinner
• Campy Award – No. 22
• Best Theme – Peacock Groove
• Best Finish- Black Magic Paint
• People’s Choice- Tallerico
• President’s Choice- Enigma Bicycles
• Best In Show- Peacock Groove
About NAHBS: NAHBS Showcases the talents of individuals around the world whose art form is the bicycle. A meeting space for frame builders and consumers who are passionate about custom-made bicycles.