PeopleForBikes (PFB) seeks a creative, organized, and proactive network and mapping specialist to join us in our mission to get more people on bikes more often. The ideal candidate will demonstrate expertise in geographic information systems, outstanding analytic skills, and enthusiasm for using data in innovative ways. S/he will also bring passion and a can-do attitude to our team.
• Managing the ongoing operations and development of the Bicycle Network Analysis (BNA), created to measure the quality of bike networks. The BNA informs the PlacesForBikes City Rating system, Big Jump project (intensive effort to double or triple bike riding in 10 U.S. cities), and will be a crucial part of a City Audit program.
• Evolving the BNA, including modifications of the tool as well as creating additional functionality with the goal of enhancing efficacy, ease of use, and analytic capability. These efforts require coordination with a variety of consulting partners including urban design firms, software developers, and PFB’s Technical Advisory Committee.
• Contributing to a broad array of programs across the organization including the PlacesForBikes City Rating Program. This requires the identification, acquisition, cleaning, and analysis of datasets including publically available data (e.g., American Community Survey, OpenStreetMap, etc.) and primary data sources (e.g., the PlacesForBikes Community Survey and City Snapshot).
• Providing technical support and consulting to city partners and other external stakeholders on using, updating, and analyzing the BNA and other analytic products in local contexts. This includes producing written technical documentation and guidance.
• Presenting the BNA and other analytic products at conferences, webinars, and other workshops.
PeopleForBikes is a dynamic, evolving organization where responsibilities are likely to change and grow, particularly based on the specific talents the successful candidate brings to the role. All members of our team take on new duties as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Urban Planning, Geography, or related field
• Two to three years of experience within a government agency, consulting firm, or related organization
• Expertise in PostgreSQL/PostGIS
• Expertise with OpenStreetMap tagging scheme, especially bike-related tags
• Understanding of Bicycle Level of Traffic Stress framework
• Experience with an urban planning context
• Experience with US Census and related data sets
• Collaborative approach – the person will interface with multiple departments and external partners
• Outstanding communication skills (oral and written) with internal and external clients
• Proactive and innovative approach to programs, projects, and challenges
• A self-starter with a can-do attitude and attention to detail
• Shell scripts
• Amazon Web Services infrastructure
• Knowledge about and passion for bicycling
Compensation and benefits:
This “at will” position, based at our headquarters in Boulder, Colorado, offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is offered, which includes health insurance, generous paid time off and optional participation in a deferred compensation plan.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter including portfolio links via email with “Network and Mapping Specialist” in the subject line to email@example.com.
The position will remain open until filled. Telephone inquiries will not be accepted. PeopleForBikes is an equal opportunity employer.