Adams State University is pleased to announce the position of Coordinator of Adventure Sports. The Coordinator of Adventure Sports provides vision, leadership, management and supervision for Adventure Sports teams and programs. Adventure Sports is a unique varsity sports program housed within the Division of Student Services. Adventure Sports currently includes a rock climbing team and road and mountain biking teams with roughly 50 total student athletes. The position directly supervises all business operation, recruitment, retention, and student development. This position serves as the head coach for the mountain biking team and supervises an assistant cycling coach and the part-time head coach for the climbing team. This is a full-time, exempt position requiring evening and weekend hours and reports directly to the Associate Director of Recreation and Wellness.
Located in Alamosa, Adams State University is a small state-supported, institution in the San Luis Valley, a rural and agricultural area of south-central Colorado, approximately 3.5 hours from Denver and 1.5 hours from Taos, NM. Nested between the South San Juan and the Sangre de Cristo Mountains and right along the Rio Grande River, Alamosa is a small community with close access to excellent mountain biking, rock climbing, and remote wilderness. Adams State has an on campus student population of about 2,000 and is designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution and a regional education provider.
Additional information about the college may be found at http://www.adams.edu and the department at http://www.adams.edu/student_
Essential Functions for the Coordinator:
• Supervision and administration of all aspects of the Adventure Sports program
• Budget administration including sponsorship and fundraising
• Program design and evaluation
• Head coach for mountain bike team
• Provide support for the recruitment and retention of student athletes including recruitment camps, continuing education, and training
• Pertinent information is reported monthly and annually to the associate director for monitoring the efficacy of the Adventure Sports budget, programming, and services towards set goals nested within the strategic plan for Student Life and Recreation
• Administrative risk management
• Training student athletes and student employees
• Support and ensure quality of coaching and team development
• Perform delegated duties as assigned by the associate director for Campus Recreation and Wellness
• Provide support for Student Life and Recreation activities, facilities, and programs as requested
• Maintains professional certifications as appropriate for job responsibilities and as a professional
• Create and maintain beneficial collaborations with university departments
• Create and maintain beneficial collaborations external entities
• Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science or related field
• Budget and fiscal management experience
• 2 years of collegiate sports team management and coaching
• 2 years of competitive collegiate mountain biking experience
• Wilderness medicine certification
• Commitment to and ability to work collaboratively with diverse internal and external populations
• 5 years of mountain bike racing experience
• Previous work experience with a college or university cycling team
• Experience with event/race promotion, sponsorship facilitation, race hosting logistics, and event/race management
• Knowledge of and experience with Federal and State land permitting
• General computer skills including Word, Excel, Social Network development, etc.
• Repair and maintenance of cycling equipment
• 2 years of collegiate coaching experience for Adventure Sports Teams
• Wilderness First Responder Certification
• IMBA Level 2 Certification
• USA Cycling Coaching Certification
In compliance with the Immigration Control Act of 1986 candidate for positions must provide proof of eligibility to work before an officer of employment can be made final.
Adams State University performs background checks as a condition of employment for prospective employees and current employees seeking certain promotional opportunities. Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of an acceptable background check. Applicants will be asked to provide personal data and sign a release form before the background check is conducted. Applicants who fail to provide the data and consent form will not be considered for employment or promotion. Background checks include review of criminal records and sex offender registry background. Credit and driving record background may apply to certain positions.
Adams State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Applications are sought from all qualified persons regardless of race, color, sex, disability, and, as covered by law, veteran status. In addition, University policies prohibit discrimination on the basis of religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation including transgender status and gender expression, marital status, and parental status.
– Letter of Application
– Current Resume
– Names and contact information (addresses, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses) of three professional references (at least one for a direct supervisor) who can address your qualifications for the position.
Unofficial transcripts from ALL institutions of higher education attended, (official transcripts required upon hiring).
Send application materials to electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
Associate Director of Recreation and Wellness
Adams State University
Deadline: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Fullest consideration will be given to applications submitted by August 31, 2016.