Startup Opportunity: Bike Service and Parts/Inventory Manager
This is a new position in a new retail space for a bike shop opening this summer in the Denver Highlands neighborhood. The Service and Parts/Inventory Manager is responsible for identifying all initial and ongoing needs to establish set-up of the shop from the ground up. This means helping to concept overall layout, tool and workstation setup, oversee and manage initial startup (and subsequent ongoing) WOP inventory and other parts purchasing to everything in between.
This is not an ordinary bike shop and we are no ordinary organization. We are an extremely passionate group of people in everything that we do and while that includes a fully operational retail bike shop amongst a street of other businesses, that is just a part of the bigger picture.
The bike shop (along with a coffee shop next door) is a real world classroom for an integrated micro-middle school. The student’s learning experiences will be embedded into the day to day shop operations. Lessons of physics in the gearing system and math through measurements of centripetal force around curves.
We are intent on changing the landscape of education for kids through relevant and personalized education experience in a real-world. This is no small task and not for the faint of heart. Our timeline is short and our vision is expansive but if this sounds like something you want to be part of, we would love to talk to you.
The Service and Parts/Inventory Manager provides leadership and competency in all areas of bicycle service and sales at Framework Cycles. This position works closely with the Executive Director, Operations/Sales Manager and Education Director in oversight of the performance of any service staff as well as providing key educational guidance for students as a mentor and trainer.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist customers and provide exceptional customer service; educate customers about bicycles, bicycle accessories and clothing, and any other cycling-related products or services in the store.
- Assist students/teachers and educate students/teachers about bicycles, bicycle accessories and clothing, and any other cycling-related products or services in the store.
- Supervise mechanic(s), technician(s), and bicycle assembler(s); schedule work appropriately for these tech positions and ensure that assignments are completed accurately and on time.
- Be involved in hiring and training/mentoring of new service center employees.
- Address any customer service and warranty issues.
- Write work orders based on on-the-spot analysis; provide customers with accurate cost estimate quotes and maintenance suggestions.
- Educate all staff regarding company policy, programs and standards.
- Monitor productivity and performance of tech staff.
- Plan and/or lead special events or workshops in your tech center, for customers as well as for staff.
- Order/Manage service inventory.
- Organize supplies and product within the tech center to promote a clean and efficient work environment.
- Demonstrate a commitment to your staff, your peers, your supervisors and the mission and values of Framework Cycles.
The Service and Parts/Inventory Manager position is a full time position; you will work 40 hours per week, and you should have the ability to work evenings and weekends.
- 3+ years of bicycle retail experience.
- Prior experience supervising others.
- High level of organizational ability, strong attention to detail with an emphasis on quality is essential.
- Comfort working around adolescents.
- Should be passionate about bicycles and promoting the benefits of a cycling lifestyle and culture.
- Enthusiastically embraces the concept of serving the customer and providing an exceptional retail experience.
- Is capable of safely lifting and carrying 25lbs on a regular basis.
- Is intrinsically motivated, positive, and friendly; able to work both independently and as a member of a team; and thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
Bicycle Mechanic Skills
Highly skilled in diagnosing and fixing all types of repair issues on all types of bicycles including, but not limited to:
- Bottom bracket install and overhauls
- Brake install and adjustment including mechanical and hydraulic disc brakes
- Cassette and freewheel install
- Derailleur install and adjustment
- Suspension fork tuning and overhaul
- Wheel building and truing expert
Other benefits of working with us:
- Competitive Pay ($45-55k)
- Generous Employee Discounts
- Health Insurance & Retirement Benefits
- Paid time off