Each season the Colorado High School Cycling League puts on multiple mountain bike races in various locations around Colorado for high school athletes. There are about 80 teams. The state is divided into four regions, and for four weekends in the fall the southern two regions and northern two regions compete making for a total of eight races, plus a ninth race (in Durango this year)–the State Championships.
These events rely on crews for the season to make it all happen. The league is looking for people to help in a variety of ways as part of the official crew. Here is a general description of what to expect as part of the crew and further below are some descriptions for particular roles that best suit your skills and interests.
The Race Crew member will work with the Operations Director to set-up, manage, and tear-down the event venue at Colorado League races. Venue areas include, but are not limited to, Staging, Start, Finish, Feed Zone, and Expo. The Race Crew member is also available to take on various projects and tasks throughout the event weekend as directed by the Operations Director.
- Set-up of specific areas of the venue to specification.
- Complete various projects and tasks.
- Tear-down of specific areas of the venue.
- Communicate with Operations Director on expectations and goals for venue set-up as well as event management.
- Fill in where needed to support the event.
- Works well independently and in groups.
- Personable and good communicator.
- Problem Solver who is detail oriented.
- Able to ask for help and/or clarification.
- Receives feedback well.
- Able to attend all 5 race weekends (Friday-Sunday).
- Ideal commitment is 1 – 2+ seasons.
- Background Check & NFHS Youth Protection Courses 2-3hrs (FREE)
- This is a stipend position.
- Event weekend lodging and food is covered by the Colorado League.
Within the crew, these are the more specific positions and descriptions of what the league is looking for:
- General Race Operations – Sets-up and tears down race venue. Manages race day tasks and logistics.
- Staging Manager – Organizes riders and calls them into the start chute based on ranking & points.
- Asst. Chief Course Marshal – Assists the Chief Course Marshal with on course radio communications and volunteer course marshal deployment.
- Finish Line Manager – Manages the finish line and ensures riders complete all laps. Works closely with Chief Referees.
- Parking & Pit Zone Manager – Manages the Team Pit Zone layout. Welcomes teams to the venue and directs them to their Pit Zone. Manages volunteers and Ace Security who are directing traffic and parking.
- Info/Merch/Awards Ceremony Manager – Manages the information and merchandise tents along with volunteer support. Manages the awards ceremony and assists the race director with distributing medals, jerseys, and awards.
2021 Race Calendar
August 27-29 Frisco & Leadville September 10-12 Steamboat & Nathrop. September 24-26 Eagle & Snowmass. October 8-10 Granby & EagleOctober 22-24 Durango
Learn more about the league here: https://coloradomtb.org