Have an event to List?
Whether a race, special group ride, training opportunity, or cycling-related community event, the 303 calendar showcases it all. To have an event posted here please follow this link: Event Policy Submission & Guidelines
- This event has passed.
Iron Horse Bicycle Classic
May 26, 2018 - May 27, 2018
The Iron Horse Bicycle Classic was the brain child of Tom Mayer and his older brother Jim. Jim worked as a brakeman on the D & R G W railroad which had run the steam powered locomotive between Durango and Silverton since the 1880’s. Tom was a young bicycle enthusiast who grew up alongside the tracks to Silverton. Tom challenged Jim to a race to Silverton. As the train came by the house, the steam whistle screamed and Tom climbed on his trusty steel framed 10 speed and pedaled up over the rim of the old volcano and descended into the caldera to the mining town of Silverton. The train takes a shorter and easier route, but with limited speed, so it is truly a race between man and machine. When Tom became strong enough to win, the bragging rights were his, and the whole town knew it.
Saturday May 26, 2018
- Durango Coca-Cola Road Race (7:30am)
- McDonald’s Citizens Tour to Silverton (8am)
- Quarter Horse to Purgatory (8:15am)
- MBS King/Queen of Mountain (Road & MTB Omnium)
- Bike Pickup Durango High School (3pm-7pm)
- Silverton Finish Line Festival: Beer garden, food, vendors and racing. Memorial Park 9am-1pm. Come out and support Silverton’s non profits.
Sunday May 27, 2018
- La Strada La Plata Gravel Ride (9 AM Start)
- Morehart Murphy Subaru MTB Race (11 AM – 4 PM / Category times vary)
- Sprite Kids Race & Alpine Kids Village (Registration 8am-9am)
Alpine Bank Kids Village – 9am-2pm
- BP BMX Straight Rhythm (1PM – 4PM)
- Durango Cyclery Cruiser Crit (5 PM)
Event details and registration here