The Boulder Valley School District seeks Bicycle Instructors for elementary and middle school students. Working in a team of teachers, the instructor will teach cycling skills and safety concepts at schools across the district promoting cycling for enjoyment, transportation, and health. The position calls for a bicycling advocate who understands the benefits of active transportation and is enthusiastic about the joy and health of bicycling. The instructor will receive training and orientation following the safety principles of the League of American Bicyclists and the educational standards of the district. Applicants should be willing to grow their instructional skills in the art and craft of teaching.
Student bicycle education is an integral part of the Safe Routes to School (SRTS) program, a unit of the Transportation Department of the Boulder Valley School District (BVSD), providing transportation options and promotes health and safety for 30,000 students and 3,500 staff.
● Instruction at the elementary and middle level of bicycle education units
● Coordinate preparations and communications for school visit with physical education teacher
● Manage preparation and care of fleet bicycles and program equipment
● Develop community support leading group bicycle rides for students and parents
Knowledge and Skills
● Enthusiasm for bicycling and a passion for educating children and adults
● Teaching experience preferred, licensed teachers welcome
● Adaptable to changing schedules, various group sizes, and teaching environments
● Reliable, effective time management and scheduling skills
● Ability to lift bicycles and gear weighing up to 40 pounds
● Project coordination experience a plus
● Spanish proficiency a plus Schedule and Terms
● Part-time, seasonal position from August to November 2019 and March to May 2020 with a range of 8-20 hours per week and possible weekend assignments in a pay range of $20-24 per hour based on qualifications.
● Applicants are invited to email the BVSD BikeED Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application is open until position is filled