Thanks to the ACA for sharing the meeting minutes from the recent ACA promoters meeting. Decisions here will effect the 2011 Cyclocross season so read carefully
2011 Cross Promoters Meeting
February 26, 2011
Golden Visitors Center
Minutes by Chris McGee
Chris McGee introduced himself as the new Executive Director and welcomed promoters to the meeting. He
noted the growth and quality of Colorado cross in the last years, with racer numbers over 9,000 for 2010 and
nearly 30 medals at Cross Nationals awarded to Colorado racers of all ages and categories.
As part of the effort to encourage promoters to use the services of local on-line registration providers, Alan
Enos from Madsync and Lucas McCain of PreRace described their online pre-registration services to cross
promoters. The services of Clint & Clark at SignUp365 were also noted. Promoters, please look at our local
providers when creating your online registration.
Bill Barr recognized Jon Tarkington’s role in the ACA’s recent success and financial stability.
Jon Tarkington took over as chair for the meeting, and began by asking all promoters to introduce themselves
and give their opinion as to why Colorado cyclocross racers are finding so much success at the national (and
international) level. Answers included (in no particular order):
- ACA has 40-50 teams that provide support for many skill levels and are committed to junior and
- Our good weather and altitude contribute to excellent training.
- The diversity of hard, quality courses gives racers the opportunity to experience a variety of cross
- Full length races help our athletes prepare for shorter races in other settings.
- Many Colorado racers focus on Nationals for their season.
- Top end talent for local racing provides pressure for our racers to get better. Colorado a magnet for high
end cycling talent.
- Cross attracts road, mountain, and tri athletes – brings lots of talent together.
- Back to back racing most weekends (for juniors too) lets racers improve quickly.
- Colorado’s cycling culture brings passion and commitment to the sport.
- The Boulder cross training rides help riders of all levels to improve.