• Reply to: 2014 Cross Cup Long Schedule and Policy   1 min 33 sec ago

but please, please tell me there's no one silly enough to base their race day schedule on a graphic shown on 303.com instead of reading the actual race flier!

• Reply to: 2014 - Salida Classic   2 hours 30 min ago

Here is a link to some great pics of last weekends Stage race by Rich Shanks: http://richshanks.smugmug.com/Sports/2014-Salida

• Reply to: 2014 Cross Cup Long Schedule and Policy   3 hours 45 min ago

Looks to me like the screen shot in this post is of the wave FINISH times, not the START times. See the PDF in the "schedule details" link under the image for the start times.

• Reply to: Boulder Valley Velodrome to open in five to six weeks!   5 hours 20 min ago

I heard a rumor that the velodrome was shutdown by the city of Erie yesterday. Does anyone know whats going on? Code violation?

• Reply to: Making sense of the insurance coverage issues for cyclists   5 hours 25 min ago

the ACA navigators told me that my new health insurance plan would cover losses such as these.

• Reply to: Making sense of the insurance coverage issues for cyclists   7 hours 27 min ago

Try selling your bike and you'll see you attained 50% depreciation in way less than five years.

• Reply to: Making sense of the insurance coverage issues for cyclists   7 hours 46 min ago

Lots of people hate insurance companies until they get hit reeeaaaallly bad , then they love them.

When your bike gets stolen from ANYWHERE outside your house - call your renters and see how they will help. Or , rather, will not help.

Bike crashed , frame failure, GPS tracker stolen from the bike - homeowners/renters does not cover that.

Got rear ended on a bike by a car and broke your leg or worse? - homeowners does not cover that.

Also, call your renters /homeowners company and ask them how they "depreciate" your bike year after year at a rate of 10-12% , I bet they did not mention this to you. So in 5 years , your bike will have 1/2 value to them , no matter how hard you tried to keep it safe.

here is simple math :A 5 year old $3,100 bicycle is stolen and a claim placed with the insurance company.

Here’s the home insurance math: $3,100 x 50% depreciation = $1,550 less $1,000 deductible = $550 payment to replace the bike. Out of pocket expense = $2,550

Here’s the Velosurance math: $3,100 less $300 deductible = $2800 payment. Out of pocket expense $300.

That’s a $2,250 difference of out of pocket expense, or 12 years of Velosurance premiums at $186 a year.

Velosurance / Markel do not do that. Keep in mind that this is a specific type of insurance for specific needs.

Some more questions to ask your renters :

1) Is the bike insured away from my home? If the answer is "no" you can stop here!

2) What is the max value my bike is insured for? (Might come as surprise for people to find out their 12,000$ P5 bike was insured only for 3000 because thats your company max)

3) Is the bike value depreciated year by year?

4) Is the bike insured for crash damage? Collision with a car or another bicycle. (99% it will not and no one will pay you when you will get hurt in a crash or get hit by a car)

5) Is the bike insured for racing or riding in organized events?

6) How much would I get if my bike was stolen? What is the deductible and depreciation on my bike?

7) Is the bike insured if I lend it to a friend?

8) Is my bike insured when transported by an airline, or in shipping or if it falls off a car?

9) This is an electric assist bicycle, do you insure bikes with an electric motor?

10) What if only my wheels are stolen? Is that a covered loss? What is the deductible?

11) Will my home insurance rates increase if I make a bicycle claim?

Call your homeowners/renters agent and ask him these questions. You will then understand what pathetic coverage your homeowners insurance has for your bicycle.

• Reply to: Have you helped a local High School MTB Team?   2 days 1 hour ago

I am a coach for the Green Mountain Composite team in the Lakewood/Arvada region of Denver metro. Thanks to Cheri for bringing this type of attention to this amazing league and even more amazing kids...and coaches :)

• Reply to: Have you helped a local High School MTB Team?   4 days 22 hours ago

The dedication of Coaches is critical to the growth and sustainability of this dynamic sport where all who ride score! The student-athletes are inspirational and are guided by amazing role models ! Check out this map: http://www.coloradomtb.org/teams/team-sponsor-shop-map/ to find a team near you.