• Reply to: You don't know Mountain Biking unless you know Kate Rau   18 hours 47 min ago

if you donut know me u don't no internets

• Reply to: Coffee Talk - Single Speed ain't what it use to be   21 hours 22 min ago

I'd say "out of the woodwork" is pretty accurate tbh. My husband and I just happened to buy a set of SS bikes this year and it happened because of a confluence of events. First, we happened to notice that we could get SS that matched the geometry and quality of our geared bikes, were well spec'd and not horribly expensive. We wanted pit bikes we could use as all-rounders and the stars just aligned right. We are both pretty average Cat 3s who would both much prefer to jump in the SS class than duke it out with elite master racers when we double up. Will we get smashed in SS? Absolutely, me especially, since it's an open unisex category. Do we care? Not so much. We already get a huge giggle out of bashing one gear around on open space trails, so making the transition to racing it doesn't seem much of a stretch.

In sum, I think there's an element of growth / change in the SS category just percolating in from other cross-curious members of the "normals". Will we get tattoos and wear bib overalls to race in and will my husband attempt to grow a giant lumberjack beard? Prolly not, but you never know.

• Reply to: Coffee Talk - Single Speed ain't what it use to be   22 hours 21 min ago

Exactly. Thats what i was saying. Cyclocross numbers have plateaued in Colorado but yet the single speed field grows and strengths. So where are these riders coming from? 35+? P-1-2? Out of the woodwork?

• Reply to: Coffee Talk - Single Speed ain't what it use to be   22 hours 27 min ago

Growth is just a secondary topic to this story, please pay attention to the category makeup of the field, 2009, mostly 4's, 2014 lots of 1's and 2's. THIS is what I find interesting. I'm not interested in what is happening in the other 49 states, just what is happening in Colorado. This shift in rider demographics has changed the attitude of the field. Not saying this is a bad thing (must say that before anyone goes off on a tangent). I don't have a problem with someone moving my cheese, that is evolution in the SS field in Colorado.

• Reply to: 2014 USA Pro Challenge - Economic Impact   1 day 12 hours ago

It is nice to through around big numbers like that.

I would like to see the whole run down though. How much money was spent by each town just to be considered for a start/finish, how much each town spent on the race, how many volunteer hours,

USA Pro Challenge bicycle race also sued a major sponsor.

There is a cost to business but they never report that.

• Reply to: Boulder Valley Velodrome asking for help from Erie   1 day 15 hours ago

...crimping the cashflow compel their demand for a special exception. These guys show motivation and vision: where's the slacking in that?

• Reply to: Coffee Talk - Single Speed ain't what it use to be   1 day 15 hours ago

The US got Worlds because the Euros already have come to the conclusion that Cross is a distraction to real cycling.

(20,000 in revenue - costs) x a couple times/ year (what is that 3, 4?) = rich.

Noting the jealousy in your statement, I would say your definition of "rich" and mine are drastically different. I am freaking loaded. Sweet!

• Reply to: Coffee Talk - Single Speed ain't what it use to be   1 day 17 hours ago

Check out the participation in TX and throughout the South.