• Reply to: 2015 - Koppenberg   4 hours 53 min ago

That was the most fun I've had on a road bike in a long time. Most promoters would have cancelled. Huge thank you to all the volunteers and WOL team for having the guts to make the right call and make racing happen. Blessed to have the best around right here in Colorado.

• Reply to: 2015 - Koppenberg   6 hours 9 min ago

It rained just enough to turn the clay completely solid and slick as ice. It rendered the climb un-rideable. It was hard to even walk/run up with cleats. Inevitably, those with Speedplays wound up being unable to clip back into their pedals, me included. I spent the last 1.5 laps riding on top of my clay packed pedals. It never got muddy though, just super slick and messy enough to pack into your cleats. Quite an interesting race to say the least!

• Reply to: 2015 - Koppenberg   8 hours 37 min ago

I watched the first three laps of the Pro 1-2s but the storm was brewing so I rode back to the house. I didn't think it rained enough to have changed the conditions, but I guess it did.

The rain was enough to muddy the course up?

• Reply to: 2015 - Koppenberg   21 hours 23 min ago

Funny, the course was perfect in the afternoon until it rained again. Then it was no longer a road bike race.

• Reply to: 2015 - Koppenberg   2 days 9 hours ago

Good luck everyone, weather looks great and sounds like is shaping up nicely. For those that don't like the conditions, the good news is that there is only a 24 hour wait for a pavement crit race.

Enjoy the ride, whatever size tire or location you choose today, I know I will.

• Reply to: 2015 - Koppenberg   2 days 9 hours ago

Sorry one more thing. Hay was put down on the kopp which can be a little slippery.

• Reply to: 2015 - Koppenberg   2 days 9 hours ago

Morning report race day.
    Rideable on a road bike. Bumpy at top of kopp, but it is rideable and no mud sticking to the bikes.

My wife road up it on clement xplor tires fine and is now trying on 25c road tires just to make sure prior to her race.
    8am wave looks to be fine and the layer waves will be even more firm. The dirt is kinda like hero dirt from what I am hearing but looks like only one good line up kopp right now.

• Reply to: 2015 - Koppenberg   2 days 20 hours ago

thanks. I don't have "equipment choices". Just a road bike. When this course is dry it's far from being a "paved crit". When it's wet its a cyclocross race. Time to do a mountain training ride tomorrow.

• Reply to: 2015 - Koppenberg   2 days 22 hours ago

So I checked it out on the way home from work tonight....Quite a downpour of rain in the area this afternoon, and boy have the conditions changed in the last 36 hours. It went from bone dry to quite muddy.

Here is my prediction....
    The first wave is going to deal with pretty muddy conditions, but by the 2nd wave there will be a dry line. By the time the 3rd wave runs through, there won't be any mud left to deal with.

To each their own, but I like it when the conditions give choices as to equipment choice. Do I run a CX bike with slicks? 28mm tires? 30s? I think it keeps things interesting and keeps it from being just another pavement crit.