• Reply to: U.S. 36 Bike Lane is a Costly venture   1 day 10 hours ago

Someone has assigned the cost to be 16 million for the bike path construction. Yet I'm sure the actual bike path cost is much less than 16 m. The contractor is including costs to the bike path construction budget that would have to be completed regardless of the bike path. These costs could be drainage, grading, landscaping..... One reason is to receive more federal tax dollars and grants for the overall construction project. The other is to irritate non cycling people because of all that waste going into a silly bike path. At least front range planners have the ability to see way into the future which is a plus.

• Reply to: U.S. 36 Bike Lane is a Costly venture   2 days 10 hours ago

It's fantastic transportation officials are willing to spend a million per mile on bike paths, but to say this path will last more than 50 years is ridiculous. With the expansive clay soils we have out here, you'd be lucky to get 15-20 years before the concrete and subsurface will need to be removed and replaced.

• Reply to: U.S. 36 Bike Lane is a Costly venture   3 days 3 hours ago

ehhhhh, I've done it. It's not "simple", it's not straightforward and it is NOT well marked at all. Also anytime but the crack of dawn and Lowell gets pretty busy.

• Reply to: U.S. 36 Bike Lane is a Costly venture   3 days 3 hours ago

from where I think the path will end, you can intersect with the sand creek path (or is it dry creek path? Some damn creek) that will pretty much take you to Lowell. Then drop a few more blocks south (64th?) and head East to intersect with the Clear creek path and eventually to platte river.

It's pretty dang simple really although when I do this it's at butt-crack.

• Reply to: U.S. 36 Bike Lane is a Costly venture   3 days 7 hours ago

If you read the article it states very clearly that path users will only interact with traffic at 3 spots. So that is pretty cool. They also state that it just ends at Westminster. So that is not so cool.

• Reply to: U.S. 36 Bike Lane is a Costly venture   3 days 9 hours ago

I am with you on this. When I drive to Denver I try to follow the bike path they are building. From what I can tell it crosses 2 maybe 3 times. The thing that concerns me is that the path looks like it just stops in Westminster. To me thats the critical part (Westminster to Denver).

I have commuted a few times by bike from Boulder to Denver and its pretty easy to get from Boulder to Broomfield but after that it gets difficult.

• Reply to: U.S. 36 Bike Lane is a Costly venture   3 days 10 hours ago

Having biked that corridor for many years, I am looking forward to the bikeway but I hope that I am not setting myself up for disappointment. I fear that the bikepath will have many, many stops and that it will zig zag back and forth across 36. I hope that I am wrong.

Question, how many times does 36 cross over itself and how many times does the traffic on 36 stop (as a result of stop signs, etc ....not as a result of congestion).

• Reply to: U.S. 36 Bike Lane is a Costly venture   3 days 13 hours ago

Sounds like the perfect length for a time trial. hint hint

• Reply to: BRAC Announces Reorganization   5 days 1 hour ago

They posted a schedule, but what's it worth? Not even January yet and we've already lost a race from the schedule (Bennett RR, which nobody really thought would happen, but still... it was listed, and now it's gone).