• Reply to: 2015 - Lafayette Circuit Race   58 min 54 sec ago

Well, ok. I guess when I think of circuit race I think of Denver Federal center, 4 mile loop, done 6 times, instead of a 1.7 mile loop with 15 laps. What's the demarcation lap distance between a crit and circuit race? And I like road races best, like Morgul/Weld County/Deer Trail/USAFA where there is much more variety and only 3-4 laps. That I'd pay extra for. But hey, that's just me I guess.

• Reply to: 2015 - Lafayette Circuit Race   1 hour 14 min ago

Boratbuff - This was a 1.7 mile course, technically it's a circuit race. It had hills, tight corners, finish following a climb and it was an easy drive from Denver/Boulder. Not really a whole lot more you can ask for...

• Reply to: 2015 - Lafayette Circuit Race   2 hours 46 min ago

Maybe racers aren't too enthralled with crits and would rather do a road/circuit race instead.

• Reply to: 2015 - Lafayette Circuit Race   4 hours 44 min ago

Garrick, thanks for the positive comments. We grossly underestimated: 1) the effect of Saturday's race on our turnout. 2) over 150 Colorado racers were down at Tour of the Gila, and 3) not having any Cup status for the race. We lost several thousand dollars but had several thousand left from Boulder Roubaix so hopefully we'll come out even.

• Reply to: 2015 - Lafayette Circuit Race   14 hours 7 min ago

I haven't raced enough in Colorado to know if this is typical for a "new" race, but geez, I was embarrassed by the low turnout, certainly in the 40+ 4's. Yes, it had a big hill, but Oredigger Crit was way harder IMHO. There was some crappy pavement on the climb and the finishing straight, but the fast parts were in great shape. I'd say those who did Kopp possessed the requisite high skill level.

I thought it was a great course, and I hope DBC comes back next year.

Quickie edit from the MM 40+ 4's

• Reply to: 2015 - Koppenberg   14 hours 8 min ago

Full race video (edited to embed)

• Reply to: 2015 - Koppenberg   23 hours 3 min ago

That was the most fun I've had on a road bike in a long time. Most promoters would have cancelled. Huge thank you to all the volunteers and WOL team for having the guts to make the right call and make racing happen. Blessed to have the best around right here in Colorado.

• Reply to: 2015 - Koppenberg   1 day 19 min ago

It rained just enough to turn the clay completely solid and slick as ice. It rendered the climb un-rideable. It was hard to even walk/run up with cleats. Inevitably, those with Speedplays wound up being unable to clip back into their pedals, me included. I spent the last 1.5 laps riding on top of my clay packed pedals. It never got muddy though, just super slick and messy enough to pack into your cleats. Quite an interesting race to say the least!

• Reply to: 2015 - Koppenberg   1 day 2 hours ago

I watched the first three laps of the Pro 1-2s but the storm was brewing so I rode back to the house. I didn't think it rained enough to have changed the conditions, but I guess it did.

The rain was enough to muddy the course up?