From the ACA website
1:00 Welcome and Introductions
1:15 How to Attract Women to the Sport - Discussion
- What is appealing about triathlon and running that competitive cycling lacks?
- What motivates women to race bicycles?
- What are the barriers to entry for women?
- Where to recruit: triathlons, spin classes, big rides (E-rock, Copper Triangle, etc) outreach efforts such as those at
Wheat Ridge Cyclery.
- The Importance of creating a positive social environment – fun and athletics
- The importance of our Women’s Club leadership in communicating the discussions from this meeting – it’s up to
all of us to improve the state of women’s cycling in Colorado.
1:45 How to Retain Women - Discussion
- The role of Clubs in providing a social outlet, support system, and network for improving athletic performance.
Are we helping SW 4s to find the right club?
- Should we explore SW 3-4 races instead of SW 1 2 3 and SW 4?
- Interactions between racers need to be civil and not drive women away from the sport.
- ACA will be vigilant about dangerous riding, bad language, and any action that portrays our sport in a negative
- Proper handling of grievances and protests with officials and promoters
2:15 Safety, Clinics & Mentoring - Suggestions
- Helmet fits, bike fits, clothing and equipment suggestions – most clubs have a sponsoring shop. New riders need
to understand the importance of fit & equipment.
- Suggested Skills Clinics – 2 hours, $25, cones, bumping, cornering, paceline, double paceline
- Mentoring during races – South Table Mtn CSP Races – Thursdays throughout year
- Identify 2 additional weekend races for Mentoring
- Can we coordinate a Skills Clinic with a Mentoring Race so that we instantly use the lessons taught in the Clinic?
2:30 Women’s-only Rides & Socials - Suggestions
- Multi-Team – build relationships between teams
- No-drop – help build confidence and camaraderie
- Coffee of course – no brainer here
2: 45 Yeti Betty Model of Women’s-Only race. A ½ Day Criterium? - Suggestions
- Suitable location? Safe course.
- Race director/club to take lead on this event.
3:00 Additional Thoughts and Discussion
Colorado Women’s Teams -
Blue Sky Velo
Boulder Chaos – Rocky/Mts Izze
Boulder Cycle Sport
Boulder Orthopedic Specialists/Boulder Masters
Denver 38 Racing
Naked Women’s Racing p/b Tribella
New Hope-360 GS Boulder
Peak to Peak Training/Westside
Team Body Sync
Twin Peaks Cycling