*** Position Filled ***
Bicycle Colorado is the statewide nonprofit organization dedicated to building a bicycle-friendly Colorado. Established more than 20 years ago, we are recognized as one of the leading bicycle advocacy groups in the country.
Bicycle Colorado’s education program works to increase the number of children bicycling and walking to school in our state while encouraging safe bicycling and walking habits. Components include in-class education, bicycle skills course facilitation, planning and oversight of encouragement programs and coordination with school administrations. Since 2006, Bicycle Colorado has worked with over 160 schools and taught over 75,000 students. This is an opportunity to work in a rewarding field and utilize a passion for bicycling, teaching and creativity to improve Colorado.
Educator duties include:
- Assist teaching bicycle and pedestrian education programs
- Assist with in-school education, teacher trainings and adult classes
- Coordinate and guide school staff and volunteers
- Willingness to travel in Colorado and work flexible hours including some evenings and occasional weekends
- Assist with office duties such as grant writing if and when needed
- Other duties as required
Skills and background sought:
- Experience and comfort teaching children grades K-8
- Strong project or program coordination experience
- Must be energetic, enthusiastic and passionate about bicycling and improving the lives of children
- Confident and effective public speaking and meeting facilitation skills
- Experience working with volunteers
- Effective time management and scheduling skills
- Valid driver’s license and safe driving record
- Ability to lift bicycles and gear weighing up to 40 lbs.
- Solid word processing and spreadsheet skills
- Familiarity with schools and parent-teacher organizations a plus
- Experience with production of educational materials a plus
- Experience with grant writing a plus
Work will be conducted from August 17 through October 23, 2015. This seasonal part-time position typically works between 20 to 40 hours per week, depending on the schedule of classes. Over this period, hours are variable but will likely average about 30 per week. There may be an occasional week where no classes are scheduled. Occasional evenings and weekend hours may be required for special functions. There will also be a potential to return for the spring season (March-May). Finalists for this position will be subject to a criminal background check.
This position’s base hourly rate is between fourteen and seventeen dollars per hour with time and a half paid for any hours in a week over 40. A monthly transit benefit, accrued vacation and holidays are included in compensation package. The selected candidate may contribute a portion of premiums to health, vision and dental plans covering period worked.
How to apply:
Qualified candidates please email resume, cover letter and references to: email@example.com. Posting is valid beginning July 6, 2015 and until position is filled. Please specify “Seasonal Education Position” in the subject line of your email and use this opportunity to display your writing communication skills. Due to a high level of interest, we will not be replying to phone calls at this time.