The International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA) seeks an Advocacy/Public Affairs Manager to serve as an expert resource and coach for local advocates working on a wide variety of issues that affect the management of mountain bicycling on public lands. This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position and works with an energetic, integrated team dedicated to promoting bicycle-friendly policies, public lands conservation and access for recreation.
The Advocacy Manager will develop training materials and utilize webinars, conference calls, social media campaigns, in-person training and coaching to increase the capacity of IMBA Chapters to engage in public lands management and policy decisions. The Advocacy Manager will be a key member of IMBA’s Government Affairs team, working on federal and state access and policy initiatives to protect, preserve and enhance mountain bicycling experiences in the United States.
• Organize and coach IMBA Chapters to effectively engage in the civic discourse of public lands management and policy at the local and regional level.
• Develop IMBA advocacy training programs and resources in cooperation with Regional Directors and Government Affairs staff.
• Collaborate with Government Affairs staff and coalition partners to help shape federal and state policy that affects mountain bicycling opportunities.
• Leverage mass communication tools and techniques to inspire local advocates to be active citizens of the mountain bicycling community.
• Other duties as assigned
Desired Experience and Qualifications
• Bachelors degree required, Masters degree in public lands, natural resources or environmental policy preferred, and/or two years experience in a related field.
• Strong familiarity with public lands management, planning, the National Environmental Policy Act, USDA Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management and National Park Service regulations.
• Experience with volunteer and community organizing.
• Outstanding public speaking, and training skills.
• Superb writing and editing skills.
• Understanding of advocacy, membership, fundraising in a not for profit business environment.
• Energetic, creative, problem solving, positive/can-do personality with ability to work as a team-player and autonomously.
• Fluent in Microsoft Office, Mac operating systems, CRM databases and social networking.
• Ideal candidate is an outdoor enthusiast with a passion for mountain biking.
Competitive salary and benefits, based on experience. IMBA offers medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, as well as generous vacation and holiday time. This position is based in Boulder, Colorado. IMBA’s tight knit staff values teamwork, health, mountain biking, a work-hard/play-hard ethic, and enjoys a high-energy office near trails.
To apply, send an e-mail with an engaging cover letter and resume in a single PDF or Word document to Kerri Salazar at kerri.salazar AT imba DOT com. Please include "IMBA Advocacy Manager" and your name in the subject line.
Application deadline is September 20th, 2013. IMBA is an equal opportunity employer.