Bicycle Colorado is a statewide advocacy organization dedicated to building a more bicycle-friendly Colorado. Our nonprofit is celebrating its twenty-third anniversary and continues to expand its reach. Recognized as a top bicycle advocacy organization in the nation, Bicycle Colorado works to increase access to and enjoyment of biking and walking across the state.
Bicycle Colorado’s programs include complete streets technical assistance, policy development, trail network support, adult and youth bicycle education and share the road education. Improving access and safety for people biking and walking are central to every program.
Our office is conveniently located in vibrant downtown Denver near bike paths, rail lines and bus stations. Indoor bicycle parking is provided.
Reporting to the Policy Director, the Active Transportation Manager will help design and lead campaigns to direct more public resources (financial and educational) to improving safety and access for active transportation throughout the state.
The ideal candidate will be able to confidently connect with governmental leaders (commissioners, legislators, mayors, etc.) agency staff (engineers, planners, administrators, etc.) and a broad range of other stakeholders in support of active transportation issues. Maneuvering through complex political issues with sensitivity while keeping a project on track will be a key component of this role.
Candidate must possess the ability to envision and communicate big-picture goals while creating and tracking a path to implementation. Previous experience designing and managing transportation-related campaigns is desired.
We seek a person who is comfortable and productive working with minimal supervision,
in an environment that is fast paced and entrepreneurial. This newly-created position is initiated through grants and donor funding. The successful candidate will play a role in attracting ongoing revenues to grow and sustain advocacy work. Identification and recruitment of continued funding, in partnership with the development team, is an expectation of the position.
• Working closely with Policy Director and other team members to further develop and advance active transportation policies and practices across agencies
• Support Policy Director in shaping and advocating for legislative action that increases access to and safety of active transportation
• Develop and enhance relationships with active transportation partners including agency staff, elected officials and advocates
• Identify priority campaign opportunities and strategies to implement
• Research and strategically communicate active transportation investments and best practices in leading states and leverage this knowledge in ongoing campaigns
• Serve as liaison to other state-level advocacy organizations focused on active transportation
• Attend transportation meetings to track and influence policy and funding decisions
• Effectively present organizational mission and programs
• Assist with relevant organizational communications
• Track and report on program activities and achievements
• Identify and implement solutions to obstacles in campaign progress
• Ability to flex schedule to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed
• Assist with other programs and events as needed
• Knowledge of state-level transportation planning and funding procedures
• Experience organizing transportation advocacy campaigns
• Established relationships with transportation professionals and other relevant contacts
• Understanding of state government decision making processes
• Demonstrated ability to operate in politically sensitive environments
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking
• Ability to build consensus or identify points of agreement across varied opinions
• Commitment to advancing active transportation at the state level
• Awareness of bicycling and walking issues and opportunities throughout Colorado
• Interest in working with disadvantaged communities
• Attention to detail with strong time-management and organizational skills
• Bachelor’s or master’s in Urban or Regional Planning, Public Policy, Public Administration or related field
• Strong Google docs and Microsoft Office skills; social media and writing skills
• At least two years’ professional experience working for a non-profit, government agency or consulting firm
A base salary around $50,000 will be awarded to the successful candidate. Future compensation determined by achieving program and organizational goals. Health, dental, vision, vacation, transit benefit and retirement plan match included in package. This is a unique opportunity to play a major role improving transportation safety and access for people in Colorado.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates please submit resume, cover letter and references to: email@example.com. No calls please.
Effective November 18, 2015 until position is filled. Completion of search will be posted at www.bicyclecolorado.org
Bicycle Colorado’s policy is to offer equal employment opportunity to all applicants and