LUNAFEST 2012: Coming to a Theater near You

From our women centric writer Cheri Felix

I swore to myself last night that I would go to sleep early. No Mountain Flyer or Dirt Rag. No Bike Magazine. But then I watched Amanda Zackem’s film about Georgena Terry and then before I knew it I was watching videos about how bikes are made and bike geometry and the goal of early to bed went out the window.

LUNAFEST - 2012/2013 Season Trailer from Clif Bar & Company on Vimeo.

More about LUNAFEST in Boulder

The LUNAFEST is coming to the Boulder Theater next Thursday, October 11. The LUNAFEST is a traveling film festival of short films made by, for and about women. 15% of the net proceeds go to the Breast Cancer Fund (the one that is dedicated to eliminating environmental causes of breast cancer) and the other 85% of net proceeds go to the local charity chosen by the host. The Boulder screening chose the Green House Scholars as their beneficiary. A key component to the success and growth of the LUNAFEST is probably due to the incredible film makers who bring us films that make us think.

One of those film makers is Amanda Zackem. One day her friend Michael suggested that she meet Georgena Terry, founder of Terry Bicycles. Terry Bicycles started in 1985 and I can’t say what they do any better than how they say it on their website; they get more women riding bicycles—comfortably, safely and beautifully. Amanda somehow shows us in a bit over five minutes who Georgena is and just how passionate she is about making bikes for women. At one point in the film, Georgena tells the story about how she once took a prototype of a hand built women specific bike to a bike store. And the dealer said, “No woman will ever spend $600.00 on a bike.” Well, I think we know how that turned out.

Amanda manages to get Georgena to talk to the camera as if it was a friend. And you can easily see the pieces of her that make her work with bikes so amazing. Georgena has a way of making you want to know how bikes are made, why certain materials are used and why and how a bike is built to fit a woman. Amanda makes us care about Georgena and care about the mission of getting women out on bikes. When I asked Amanda what her goal was with the film and what she hopes that people take away from the film this is what she said, “Georgena is an intelligent, hardworking and passionate woman and that is what I wanted to capture in this film. She has a challenge that she deals with daily but I didn’t want that to be the central focus to the film, because that challenge does not define who she is or what she has accomplished. I hope that women walk away from this film feeling empowered, inspired and activated.”

I’ve watched the film three times. My breath still catches every time when in response to the bike dealers’ comment Georgena says to herself, “Oh, I’m going to make you eat your words.” The LUNAFEST films are about lots of things. And I always walk away thinking differently than I did when I walked in the door. It’s a lot like going for a great ride. You feel better and better for it when it’s all said and done. I hope you get a chance to check it out for yourself this year.

News Item: