Boulder's Lefthand Canyon workgroup
From Brandon Smith
Bicycle Planner/ Employee Transportation Coordinator
Boulder County Transportation Department
Motorist/Cyclist Working Group,
As the new Bike Planner for Boulder County, I’d like to introduce myself and say thanks for all the time and hard work that you have already put into improving relationships between motorists and cyclists in your community and on the roads. I have read through the information I could find of your past efforts and now would like to set up a meeting where I can meet you all, gauge the success of the implemented programs, talk about upcoming efforts, and ask for any additional ideas you all may have.
In a brief summary here is what has been implemented so far:
- The sheriff’s department is focusing on the stop sign at Olde Stage and Lee Hill. Additionally, they are keeping an eye on the stop signs in Jamestown.
- Sweeping of shoulders and vegetation removal has been increased to limit the needs for cyclists to use vehicular lanes and to make travel safer for all users.
- Numerous paved pull-outs for cyclists to congregate along have been installed.
- Currently working on expanding shoulders on Lee Hill to allow more room for cyclists to ride, thus reducing potential interactions.
- New signage for cyclists and motorists has been placed along the canyons.
I’m currently working on implementing other steps to achieve the goals that have been laid out from your past meetings and look forward to moving forward to create a successful program.
A meeting has been scheduled for 5:30 p.m. on Monday, May 9th in the Kaiser Conference Room in the Boulder County Transportation offices located at 2525 13th Street, Boulder, CO 80304. The meeting room is located on the 2nd floor, so either enter from the 2nd floor of the parking garage or take the elevator on the 1st floor of Clinica. Please let me know if you are able to attend this meeting.