The Bikes Belong Coalition (bikesbelong.org) is the U.S. bicycle industry organization dedicated to getting more people on bikes more often. Bikes Belong works to increase federal bike funding, awards grants to support innovative bike projects, promotes bicycling and its benefits, and backs crucial national efforts such as Safe Routes to School, Bicycle Friendly Communities, and the National Bike Summit. The affiliated Bikes Belong Foundation focuses on improving bicycle safety and enhancing children's bike programs.
Bikes Belong also manages the Peopleforbikes.org campaign, an unprecedented effort to unite one million Americans behind a pledge in support of better bicycling in the U.S. This position focuses on the Peopleforbikes.org movement. Please visit peopleforbikes.org for full information on this exciting initiative, where more than 450,000 Americans have signed the pledge to make bicycling safer, more convenient and fun in the United States.
We are seeking four new staffers (two separate teams of two individuals each) to help grow our pledge base even further in 2012. The Seasonal Events Teams coordinate and lead all seasonal events for the Peopleforbikes.org campaign. We are seeking to represent Peopleforbikes.org at multiple events throughout the United States. One team will be based more on the western half of the country, and the other team will serve events on the eastern half. This position is seasonal, with employee status, along with a set salary of $12,500 per person for the duration of the project (roughly six months). On the road, most expenses will be absorbed by Bikes Belong (within a daily per diem guideline). Start date for part- time work (hours are flexible) is March 1, 2012. Must be available full-time beginning April 1, 2012. Work hours from May through September require weekends, with driving and occasional events on weekdays. A new Volkswagen Peopleforbikes.org branded vehicle will be provided for transportation to and from events.
http://www.peopleforbikes.org/blog/entry/pfb_is_hitting_the_road_for_sum... : See pictures of some of the PFB events from last year.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Research the best events for PFB and plan seasonal event schedule
• Orchestrate all details for each event (i.e. shipping, arrival/departure times, space requirements, materials needed, etc)
• Organize volunteers to assist at each event
• Travel to all events
• Make travel arrangements for you and your partner for each event
• Handle the logistics of setup, takedown, and booth maintenance at each event
• Lead efforts to collect pledges for PFB at each event
• Act as an ambassador for the PFB and Bikes Belong programs, answer questions knowledgably and professionally
• Capture photos and video clips at each event
• Upload photos/video/short messages about events to social media channels
• Strive to make connections at each event that will lead to further promotion of the PFB movement
• As time allows, manually enter collected written pledges into Excel
• Trip reports and other regular documentation is filed on a recurring basis
• Other duties as assigned
• Previous experience managing events
• Ability to act as a professional and responsible ambassador for our brand
• Good “people person” with strong customer service and oral communication skills
• Team-oriented and able to accept ideas and strategy from other individuals
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
• A positive attitude and the ability to be flexible in the face of changing priorities and requirements
• Ability to compose well-framed photos
• Proficiency creating basic videos
• Experience using social media, including YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter
• Ability to work independently with minimal oversight
• Willing to travel regularly
• Must possess a valid drivers license and be willing to drive between events as needed
• Direct experience in the bicycling industry, outdoor industry, or nonprofit desirable
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business (Marketing/Public Relations, Communications, Management) or related field
• Anyone is welcome to apply, but couples have historically worked well given the unique nature of working with a partner for long periods of time, away from home
• A love of travel and a sense of adventure
• Enthusiasm for bicycling in all its forms (commuting, recreation and sport)
Compensation and Benefits:
This position is seasonal with a set salary of $12,500 per individual for the approximate six month commitment. In addition, a per diem is provided to help offset or absorb all necessary travel expenses. Consequently, due to the nature of the position, most of the standard living expenses are covered.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references as one PDF file to Sarah Murer, Office Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All materials should be received by February 8, 2012
Telephone inquiries are not accepted.
Please include “Events Manager” and your name in the subject line of your email application.
Bikes Belong is an equal opportunity employer.