The ACA Annual Meeting is right around the corner. There are a number of interesting proposals and here is one that caught our eye.
High Peaks Masters Cross Call up Policy Proposal
As the representatives for the High Peaks Masters, Team # 168, we would like to propose a revised Cylocross Call-up procedure, integrated into the Colorado Cross Cup points system.
Under current Colorado Cup policy, ONLY Colorado Cross cup races score points and are used in Colorado Cup Races for rider staging (call-ups) This leaves all NON-cup races without a structured call up process, and an inconsistent call up/staging process race to race. To better mirror UCI cyclocross call up procedures, and provide a consistent and predictable call up process at ALL races, while still rewarding Colorado Cup Races, we are proposing a "Dual" Colorado Cup and Season Call up point system
- ALL races score points for Season Call up standings
- ONLY Colorado Cup Points races score points for Colorado Cup Standings
- Colorado Cup races score double points and over slightly more places (rewards Cup race Prestige & competitiveness)
- Points for season call up standings and Colorado Cup are tracked in 2 separate listsPlace "Basic" race points Colorado Cup race points 1 26 52 2 23 46 3 21 42 4 19 38 5 17 34 6 15 30 7 14 28 8 13 26 9 12 24 10 11 22 11 10 20 12 9 18 13 8 16 14 7 14 15 6 12 16 5 10 17 4 9 18 3 8 19 2 7 20 1 6 21 - 5 22 - 4 23 - 3 24 - 2 25 - 1
- ALL races will use the combined call up season standing points to stage riders
- Colorado Cup points for season competition will ONLY tally Colorado Cup Race points for season awards
- Races will call up riders throughout the full season call up points list
- Upgraded riders will be removed from the season call up points lists as riders upgrade
- UCI Cyclocross staging is consistent at ALL events, and based off UCI Cyclocross points. these points are awarded on a sliding scale, with more points over more places as the race increases in "prestige" or importance.
- Current ACA Policy has well defined call up procedures for ONLY Colorado Cup Races, leaving non-cup races to promoter & Chief referee "discretion". Now, these races have no rider visibility into what (if any) call up procedures will be used, leading to more confusion and staging crowding at these races.
- Higher points over 5 more places rewards the "more competitive" and deeper fields a Cup race should provide
- All races would have more meaning to more riders, as call up position is highly coveted
- "Deeper" call ups would reduce pressure for "crowding" and "early grid jumping", as riders expect a consistent procedure at all races, and more riders would expect to be called into the grid.
- Removing upgraded riders from the season call-up points list eliminates calling up upgraded riders week after week, while retaining their Colorado Cup standings that they earned in the lower category