VeloNews.com is seeking a full-time lead editor to work with the Editor in Chief in managing the vision and editorial product for North America’s leading competitive cycling website.
Do you want to live your passion for bicycle racing every day and work alongside one of the most respected editorial teams in the cycling media? This is your chance.
Candidates must have well-established experience in writing, editing, formatting, and timely project management, as well as a firm understanding of all aspects of the sport of professional cycling.
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits, available immediately, based in Boulder, Colorado.
- Manage workflow among multiple editors and contributors on a daily basis, including detailed planning of editorial coverage surrounding major cycling events
- Edit written and photo content to Velo and AP style guidelines
- Publish and manage written, photo and video content via the WordPress CMS
- Distribute content externally and manage the digital brand via social media channels; identify emerging channels for distribution, consumer engagement
- Utilize Search Engine Optimization techniques in planning and executing digital content
- Write breaking news content, as well as race reports and similar short-form pieces
- Process results data via a custom Excel-based web application
- Work with Editor in Chief, as well as the sales and development teams to advise on content partnerships and advertising programs
- Work with Editor in Chief, Copy Editor to manage the VeloNews Style Guide
- Travel to cycling events is optional, but not required
- Four-year degree or comparable work experience in journalism, sports communication, or related field
- Ability to produce written, photo and/or video content from the desk and in the field
- Familiarity with web publishing applications, namely WordPress
- Deep knowledge of the sport of bicycle racing, with a focus on European road racing
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines with a high degree of accuracy
- Highly proficient in MS office (Word, Excel), Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop or Illustrator)
- Basic familiarity with HTML
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Superior communication skills, both verbally and written
- Proficiency in a foreign language (French, Spanish, Italian or Dutch) is preferred, but not required
- The ideal candidate is intimately familiar with acronyms/abbreviations such as UCI, USAC, ASO, WADA, NCCA, IMBA, HRM, LBS, TT, KPH, OTB, JRA and, of course, DFL
Compensation DOE. Competitor Group, Inc. offers a competitive benefits package, including matching 401k, “freedom” policy for time off, health insurance plans, and complimentary event entries.
VeloNews.com delivers the strongest, most effective editorial and marketing package in the cycling industry to always produce a quality and influential audience. Our mission is to create amazing content that informs, inspires and entertains cycling enthusiasts worldwide.
CGI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, military status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions are based on job-related factors.
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and writing samples via email to Velo Editor in Chief Neal Rogers at webletters(at)competitorgroup(dot)com. Please use the subject line, “VeloNews.com editor position”.