Sponsored Job Listing
Location: Boulder with possibility of working remotely
Status: 20 hours/week; may be a staff or contract; salary commensurate with experience
PeopleForBikes (www.peopleforbikes.org) is the leading movement to improve bicycling in America—and to improve America through bicycling. We’re uniting millions of riders of all types with businesses that support biking to influence policy makers. This powerful, collective voice boosts bicycling on a national level for results that can be seen locally. Launched in 1999 as Bikes Belong, PeopleForBikes includes both an industry coalition of bicycling suppliers and retailers and a charitable foundation.
Job Description: Writes and manages all content related to bicycling and equity for PeopleForBikes; other writing projects as assigned.
The equity writer will research and write about all issues related to bicycling and equity, with a special focus on efforts to increase bike share use in low-income and underserved populations. The majority of the content will be published in the form of blog posts. Responsibility also includes taking or acquiring pictures and simple video to be used alongside blog content. Stories could include remote interviews with bike share users, finding trends in bike share usage by neighborhood or finding an equity-related angle in a news article that mentions bike sharing.
The equity writer will help the PeopleForBikes team identify the key audiences for the blog and develop metrics to track the effectiveness of the efforts. In addition to creating the content for the blog, the equity writer may help identify other key contributors to the blog, increasing cross-posting of content on other relevant blogs and news sources, and growing readership to the blog.
Other writing projects could include editorials for news sources, feature stories for magazines, case studies for in-house publication, etc. The equity writer will also have responsibilities in project management for publications surrounding this topic area, with oversight from the marketing and communications manager.
The equity writer will work under the PeopleForBikes Vice President of Local Innovation. His or her work will be guided by the Green Lane Project staff writer, who will act as editor for the equity content, and by the PeopleForBikes/Green Lane Project marketing and communications manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Produces and manages all content related to bicycling and equity and other writing projects as assigned
• Develops an editorial plan annually
• Collaborates in the ongoing development of the PeopleForBikes brand
• Works closely with the PeopleForBikes staff to adhere to budget guidelines and deliver on editorial objectives
• Manages relationships with other blog contributors
• Assists in the development of the website as it relates to the blog
• Monitors and analyzes readership on the blog and strives to increase it
• Defines and refines best audience for content
• Pitches blog content to other relevant blogs and news sources
• Monitors and records placement of blog content
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English or related field
• At least 2 years prior experience writing for a news outlet or blog
• Interest and experience in equity issues, community outreach and social change
• Familiarity with bicycling-related efforts of city government
• Connections and contacts in the blogging world
• Understanding of city planning jargon and the ability to write technically as well as translate for a broader audience
• Experience managing and creating content for the web
• Skills in photography and simple videography
• Working knowledge of HTML
• Ability to cooperate and communicate effectively with co-workers, supervisor and outside contacts
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills
• Team-oriented and able to accept ideas and strategy from other individuals
• Work well under pressure
• Attentive to detail
• Self-directed and able to carry out assignments without supervision
• Willing to travel occasionally
• Enthusiasm for bicycling in all its forms
How to Apply: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references as one PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sept. 30, 2014. Please include the words “Equity Writer” in the subject line of your e-mail.
PeopleForBikes is an equal opportunity employer.