Are you an experienced bike mechanic who wants to change the world?
The Bike Depot is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit community bike shop that supports Denver communities with a range of bicycling programs, services and products. We have a full service Bike Shop offering used bikes, parts and accessories, an affordable Service menu, and a Fix-your-Bike program where anyone can work on their bike with our tools and assistance from our expert corps of volunteers.
The Bike Depot is seeking an experienced and motivated professional bike mechanic to serve as our service department lead. Applicants must be able to perform quality, high volume service work and refurbish used/donated bikes for resale while providing support and oversight to our team of paid and volunteer mechanics.
• Along with other staff, ensure the Bike Depot is maintained in a clean and safe manner at all times.
• Willingness and ability to explain concepts related to bike repair and maintenance to program participants and volunteers.
• Assist with the sale of bicycles, components and accessories, including use of point our of sale system.
• Execute high quality repairs and tune-ups on commercial service.
• Execute efficient and high quality restoration, overhaul and tuning of a range of used bicycles.
• Provide department oversight and ensure quality of repair and restoration work.
• Manage service schedule including: service check-ins, service writing, scheduling work orders, on time completion of work orders, documentation of repairs and communication with customers.
• Maintain an up-to-date Service Menu.
• With Retail Supervisor ensure that the sales floor is stocked with a variety of used bikes.
• Ensure that all service related phone calls, requests, and questions are addressed properly and in a timely manner.
• Manage system to ensure all service customers are contacted regularly for payment and pickup.
• With Retail Supervisor manage service area inventory.
• Oversight of pricing and management of used parts.
• Train new staff on Service Department procedures and expectations.
• Other special projects as needed.
• Working knowledge of non-profits.
• Minimum of 2 years working in commercial bike shop.
• Minimum of one year working as or with volunteers.
• Experience with employee and/or team management.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications
• Extensive technical and mechanical knowledge of bicycles and bicycle products.
• Knowledge of and interest in refurbishing older bicycles.
• Experience with wheel building, bleeding and maintaining hydraulic brake systems and overhaul and maintenance of suspension systems.
• Passion for bicycles and bicycling communities.
• Ability to instruct others in bicycle repair procedures.
• Demonstrated understanding of volunteer systems and management.
• Advanced team building skills.
• Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Solid knowledge of basic office operating systems, and ability to learn new systems.
• Solid oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated accounting/inventory control experience helpful.
• Access to a personal computer
Physical Effort Required
• Regular lifting of 50+ pounds
Please provide a Cover Letter and Resume and respond with "Service Lead" in the Subject line to
Applications accepted through 3/7/2014