The Major Gifts Specialist leads and manages major donor campaigns and development of strategic relationships to meet IMBA’s fundraising and capital campaign goals. This position helps design and implement donor development strategies, organizes planning and solicitation meetings, conducts donor research and coordinates donor cultivation, communications and events. The position works closely with the development team, region directors and IMBA leadership. As a full-time, exempt staff person, the Major Gifts Specialist participates in team meetings and can expect to have occasional travel. This position is based at IMBA’s headquarters in Boulder, CO. The Major Gifts Specialist reports to the Director of Development and works closely with the entire IMBA team to advance sustainable trail development and the sport of mountain biking worldwide.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manages a “moves management” style program with current donors and donor prospects consisting of donors, foundations and corporations. Manages the movement of current major donors to higher donation levels and works to develop strong relationships between these individuals and IMBA directors or board members.
2. Works closely with Director of Development and senior staff to design and implement strategies for cultivation, communication and securing gifts from various donors to accomplish the fundraising objectives of IMBA.
3. Maintains major donor records and major gift prospect lists. Provides timely updates, thank-you correspondence and letters/notes/reports as appropriate. Uses CiviCRM (database) fundraising software to track donors and prospects.
4. Contributes to annual and/or multi-year fundraising strategic plan to align with IMBA national, chapter and cross-boundary needs and provides guidance on chapters' communications and outreach plan.
5. Researches donor prospects and prepares solicitation plans and proposals for meetings with individual donors. Participates as a member of the development team.
6. Coordinates with IMBA regional staff and the board of directors to build relationships, attend donor meetings and help with fundraising for IMBA development and capital campaigns.
7. Expands and manages IMBA’s planned giving program, including creating a plan to work with attorneys and financial planners on planned gift instruments and contracts.
8. Provides professional staff support for donor cultivation and solicitation of the board of directors.
9. Conduct foundation prospect research and manage all correspondence. Coordinate proposals with an appropriate
IMBA specialist or region staff, if needed.
10. Other fundraising and business development activities as assigned.
These responsibilities can be successfully achieved by being proficient with the following expectations:
- Discusses assets proficiently and listens for opportunities for gifts of assets, such as planned gifts and donor advised gifts.
- Understands the organization’s mission, strategic direction and strategic scope, and seeks alignment of these with each donor’s philanthropy.
- Provides opportunity for donors to receive recognition and increase future giving opportunity.
- Understands and complies with all IMBA gift-related policies and procedures and ensures ethical compliance, as defined by the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
- Involves and engages appropriate staff in IMBA regional offices and IMBA national headquarters.
Participate in IMBA meetings, summits/retreats, function as part of the IMBA team and complete all required paperwork (timesheets, work plans, etc).
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or related field, and a minimum of 3 years related work
- Experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Major gifts fundraising experience required.
- Experience in managing and tracking multiple prospects, donors, foundations.
- Experience, coursework, or other training in current trends in charitable giving in the areas of capital campaigns, major gifts and planned giving.
- Experience in asking for and closing major gifts of $5,000 or more.
- Strong writing and verbal communications skills.
- Experience building and maintaining long-term relationships with fundraising constituents such as major donors, foundations, corporations and board of directors.
- Passion for experiencing the natural world from the seat of a bike.
- Immediate Supervisor: Rich Cook, Director of Development
Benefits: Health, Dental, SIMPLE IRA, Life Insurance, Long Term Disability, Vacation and Sick Leave
Salary: Based on qualifications
Applying: Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume together in the same file to development AT imba DOT com by Friday, February 14 with “Major Gift Specialist” in subject line. No phone calls please.