VeloNews is seeking an Editor in Chief to oversee its principal brands, Velo magazine and VeloNews.com. The position is based in Boulder, Colorado.
Candidates must have well-established experience in writing, editing, and timely project management, as well as a firm understanding of all aspects of the sport of professional cycling.
The Editor in Chief is responsible for brand vision, direction, strategy, and financial performance. The EIC also oversees the coordination, organization, control and completion of all aspects of editorial production, from raw material to finished publication, by maintaining effective communication among the editorial, design, production, and ad sales departments.
Minimum skills required include a B.A. or advanced degree in journalism or related field, or equivalent work experience and working knowledge of Word, Excel, and InDesign.
Essential skills include project management, attention to detail, communication, creativity, people skills, multitasking, and decision making, all within a deadline-driven environment.
In addition, the ideal candidate is intimately familiar with acronyms/abbreviations such as UCI, USAC, ASO, WADA, CIRC, IMBA, HRM, LBS, TT, KPH, OTB, JRA and, of course, DFL.
Company: Competitor Group, Inc.
Position Title: Editor in Chief, VeloNews
Reports To: Group Publisher
Location: Boulder, Colorado
The Company: Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., Competitor Group, Inc. (CGI) is the active lifestyle industry’s leading media and event entertainment company. CGI owns and operates endurance events around the world, including the flagship Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series. Anchoring the company with rich content and marketing leverage are four publishing properties dedicated to running, cycling, triathlon and the world of multisport including VeloNews, Triathlete, Women’s Running, and Competitor, with a combined monthly circulation of more than 700,000.
The Brand: Publishers of the official North American guide to the Tour de France, VeloNews delivers the most authentic and authoritative editorial in the cycling industry, to a qualified and influential audience. VeloNews has a 43-year history of delivering compelling content that informs and entertains cycling enthusiasts worldwide. VeloNews reaches serious enthusiasts — past, present, and future — as well as the retailers, suppliers, and service providers who are at the leading edge of competitive cycling. Online since 1994, VeloNews.com delivers the most timely, trusted cycling content on the web.
Position Summary: Provide leadership, editorial vision, and direction for the brand across all platforms — print, digital, video, and mobile. Establish and build upon a defined content strategy aligned with business goals and the needs of the audience. Oversee production and design of magazine, as well as daily online presence. Oversee staffing matters for content and design. Serve as spokesperson for the brand to the audience, advertising community and cycling community.
• Establish and execute on VeloNews brand’s editorial mission
• Create and implement content guidelines aligned with editorial mission and business goals
• Determine content strategy for print and digital platforms, with the goal of expanding readership, growing community, increasing web traffic, and increasing revenue
• Set high standards for all content; oversee all assigning, editing, and writing
• Oversee day-to-day operating procedures, including scheduling, budgets, and production matters.
• Maintain ultimate responsibility for setting, enforcing, and meeting deadlines.
• Represent the brand from an editorial standpoint at industry functions.
• Provide editorial input in development of ad sales strategy and marketing collateral and strategies.
• Manage a cohesive content team that is motivated, collaborative and works toward the same goals.
• Conceive of partnership ideas for sharing of content and other ways to maximize audience reach
• Expand the audience reach while preserving the brand’s dedicated core subscribers
B.A. in journalism or related field
Five years experience working in print and/or digital media
Deep understanding of professional cycling
Profile of Ideal Candidate:
• Strong leadership qualities — able to articulate vision
• Strong digital content leader — web, tablet, social, video, etc.
• Strong content editor and writer
• Superb editorial instincts
• Extensive people management experience
• Strong process management experience
• Problem solver and solution focused; proactive in experimenting and can take responsibility for results
• Confident, with strength of conviction, but flexible
• Energetic, passionate, yet sensitive toward others
Kurt Hoy SVP, Group Publisher
Neal Rogers Editor in Chief, VeloNews
Dianne St. John VP, Human Resources