Contact: Marty Caivano
The International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA) is looking to hire a professional two-person team (usually spouses or long-term significant others) for the highly successful Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew program. This full-time exempt position requires a passion for mountain biking, excellent communication and volunteer organizational skills, basic knowledge of trailwork, and team compatibility. The Crew will travel for two years in a Subaru Outback.
The application deadline is Feb. 15, 2016.
For almost 20 years, the Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crews have traveled the world, sharing their trailbuilding expertise with volunteers, land managers and trail advocates. As a direct result, thousands of miles of appealing, environmentally sustainable trails have been built or revitalized. The crews have contributed to the trails community and mountain biking opportunities in all 50 states, Canada, Mexico and several European countries.
Sponsored by Subaru of America and directed by IMBA, the Trail Care Crew works directly with IMBA chapters, affiliated mountain bike clubs, land managers, and other trail user groups. The Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew, along with the TCC manager at IMBA’s headquarters, work as a team to meet the specific needs of each community the TCC visits. The goal of these visits is education, which can include trail building, organizational capacity for mountain bike advocacy groups, land manager training, community presentations on the economics of trails, etc. Delivering this knowledge involves a combination of presentations, hands-on training, trail assessments, meetings, and professional socializing.
IMBA is looking for the newest team in a long line of dedicated trail professionals. Although the position is not for everyone, those who enjoy travel and adventure, love to work outside and want to help improve trails and mountain biking are encouraged to apply.
- Represent IMBA, the Trail Care Crew program, the sport of mountain biking, and Subaru of America (as well as other program sponsors) in a positive, professional manner at all times.
- Lead IMBA Trail Building Schools designed for mountain bikers, other trail users and land management agency personnel. These schools disseminate the core principles of sustainable design, construction and maintenance of multi-use trails. These sessions solve trail management challenges through sharing information about successful trail design philosophy and construction techniques. Preparation for the school includes assessing, preparing and flagging the new section of trail.
- Deliver several other presentations, each chosen for the community’s specific needs.
- Attend social events, movie nights, group rides or other professional social time during the visit.
- Perform administrative tasks such as answering emails, writing visit reports, documenting visit stats, creating blogs, processing photographs, budgeting expense spending, completing expense reports, etc.
- Communicate regularly by phone and email with the program manager based in the IMBA office in Boulder.
- Submit short written pieces for IMBA Trail News (topics will be assigned by IMBA).
- Maintain Facebook/Twitter/Instagram accounts to promote TCC work.
The ideal candidates bring these qualities to the position:
- Passion for mountain biking and trails
- A willingness to embark on a two-year journey, living in tight quarters, with your partner
- Experience working with volunteers
- Basic knowledge of trail design, construction and maintenance practices and techniques
- Ability to ride at a high level: technical trails, bike parks/pump tracks
- A sense of adventure
- A positive attitude
- Excellent communication skills
- The ability to be diplomatic in contentious situations
- Public speaking skills, especially in front of large groups
- Computer savvy (ideal candidate will be proficient with Macintosh computers, software applications including Word, Excel, Google platforms, social media and photo editing software)
NOTE: Based on the nature of this job, no dependents or pets are allowed.
- A monthly salary, plus travel and living expenses
- Comprehensive medical benefits, including dental (available immediately)
- Simple IRA option
- Use of the official Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew Outback and Trek mountain bikes
Please send a cover letter and resumes (in one file) by Feb. 15, 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org.