The ACA clearly defines what is needed to upgrade from one category to the next.
4 -> 3: Need 20 points in any 16 month period; experience in 25 qualifying races with a minimum of 10 top ten finishes with fields of 30 riders or more; 20 pack finishes with fields over 50. 25 pts. in 16 months is an automatic upgrade Resume must include at least one criterium. Jrs must have some experience riding in Senior 4 events before an upgrade to 3s will be granted.
3 -> 2: Need 25 points in any 16 month period; 35 pts. in 16 months is an automatic upgrade
2 -> 1: Need 30 points in any 16 month period; 45 pts. in 16 months is an automatic upgrade
ACA State Representative may upgrade riders at the end of the season that have reached the minimum amount of points but not maximum, or placed in the top 3 in overall BAR standing of categorized races.
For the complete rules download this PDF. There is always chatter about racers "catting up" so we decided to create a page that we will update weekly through the road season and then continue through the cyclocross season. We will not discriminate between men and women. We will only be looking at the category 4 racers because upgrade points get a little gray when you go above category 4. Here is a list of this weeks graduates with their current upgrade points, ACA number, name and team.
*** Updated 7/25/2010 ***
- 28 7079 Zachary Rudolph VeloNews
- 27 674 Joseph Petrowski Primal Racing - 1st Bank
- 23 7616 Mark Notcutt Louisville Cyclery
- 23 6923 Stefan Muenck RRV
- 21 6796 Bill Lehman Twin Peaks Racing
- 21 3866 William Meyers Schwab Cycles Racing Team
- 21 9778 Bill Mackiernan Primal Racing - 1st Bank
- 20 9963 Rob Gilbert Blue Sky Velo
- 20 8872 Cameron Gridley Primal Racing - 1st Bank
- 20 9868 Bill Brant Vic's Espresso-Peerless Tire
- 20 6193 Jim Kraychy Natural Grocers p/b XP Companies
- 22 3403 Jennifer Barbour Sports Optical Racing Team