Portion of 63rd St. to be closed May 2-11
Boulder County, Colo. – North 63rd Street will be closed between State Highway 119 and Lookout Road from Sunday, May 2 through Tuesday, May 11 to accommodate the replacement of the BNSF Railroad track crossing.
All access across the tracks will be prohibited, including bicycles and pedestrians. Additionally, the RTD Route J stop between 63rd and Lookout will be closed; the J will use a detour at 63rd and Jay Road. Riders of the RTD BOLT route between Boulder and Longmont that use the Highway 119/63rd Street stop are advised to use alternate stops during the closure to avoid work zone activity.
The May 2-11 closure is part of the larger 63rd Street/Highway 119 intersection project that includes a series of multimodal improvements, including lengthening turn lanes and improving pedestrian and cyclist intersection access by adding shoulders and sidewalks. Additionally, transit stop facilities for the BOLT will be enhanced to provide safer boarding and de-boarding conditions at the intersection.
“As a result of this closure, we anticipate shortening the duration of the overall road construction project at Highway 119 and 63rd by up to two months,” Boulder County Transportation Engineer Mike Thomas said. “This will save up to $30,000 in project costs, with the added benefit of reducing commuter time spent navigating through construction zones in the area.”
Originally scheduled to extend through the end of August, the intersection project is now expected to be complete by early July.
The $3 million intersection project is funded primarily by state and federal money, covering approximately 90 percent of the cost, with the remaining 10 percent split evenly between Boulder County and the City of Boulder.
For more information, please contact Mike Thomas in the Boulder County Transportation Department at 720-564-2655 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dan Rowland, Communications Specialist
Boulder County Commissioners’ Office