Denver Bike Sharing is a Colorado charitable, non-profit corporation that owns and operates Denver B-cycle to promote health, quality of life and preservation of the environment in Denver. Denver Bike Sharing is a 501(c)3.
By building and operating a comprehensive, city-wide bike sharing system, Denver Bike Sharing offers residents and visitors an alternative form of public transportation, which is both environmentally-friendly and affordable. It complements and integrates into the City’s overall transportation system.
Denver Bike Sharing has been formed at the behest of the Mayor of Denver, and its activities and programs support the goals of the City’s Strategic Transportation Plan and Climate Action Plan. Denver Bike Sharing is governed by a Board of Directors comprised of business and civic leaders, including two Mayoral appointees to ensure a close relationship with the City of Denver.
The board of Denver Bike Sharing now seeks a dynamic, committed, professional Executive Director to lead our next phase of growth and development.
Executive Director Overview
The Executive Director is the Chief Executive Officer of Denver Bike Sharing. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors, and is responsible for the organization's consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives.
The purpose of the Executive Director position is to lead Denver Bike Sharing. The Executive Director has a future focus while managing current activities and has both an internal and external focus:
• Together with board and staff participation, set goals and facilitates staff, board and partners staying in synch and on track.
• Enable staff effectiveness by facilitating the coordination between all staff, supporting each individual in their success, and backstopping projects or tasks as needed.
• Serve as a connection between DBS and the Board of Directors and our partners, locally and nationally.
The Executive Director manages an annual operating and capital budget of $1.7 million and oversees a staff of 11 fulltime and 8 part-time professionals.
Qualified candidates will have experience in these areas:
• 5+ years leading and developing organizations; nonprofit management experience preferred.
• Knowledge of the social and environmental issues related to bike transformation – public health, environment, sustainability – and a demonstrated commitment to Denver Bike Sharing’s mission.
• Social change and community organizing experience.
• Public policy and intergovernmental systems – especially with regard to transportation, but must understand interconnections between agencies and levels of government.
• Budgeting and financial management, preferably in a nonprofit environment.
• Experience in developing and enhancing standard systems and internal processes.
• Organization management and leadership with experience in leading, developing, and enhancing teams.
• Fundraising and working with private, foundation, and government donors as well as enthusiasm for building and maintaining strong relationships with various funders.
• Public relations, external and internal communications, media relations, and marketing skills.
• Outstanding public speaking and written communication skills.
• Highly competent computer skills and a willingness to be one’s own staff.
Candidates will also possess these personal qualities that are necessary for success in leading this growing and dynamic organization:
• Leadership and motivation to develop skills in staff and board members
• Ability to focus simultaneously on goals, strategies and tactics
• Focus and discipline; strong internal work ethic
• Strong and trusted relationships across the community
• Resourcefulness, patience, and persistence
• Ability to listen and learn
• Flexibility and adaptability
• Fearlessness in asking for help
How to apply:
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Carolyn McCormick of Peak HR Consulting, LLC at Carolyn.McCormick AT peakhrconsulting DOT com. All applications are to be submitted via email. To learn more about Denver Bike Sharing and this position, please visit us at www.denverbikesharing.org.