Below are the top cycling news stories in Colorado based on web traffic, your emails and my own personal opinion.
- Boulder Velodrome Opens. For those who have been around Boulder for awhile you will know how many times this has been attempted, South Boulder, Valmont Park, Lyons, Erie, Broomfield, etc all attempts to get a Velodrome so many were, "We will believe it when we see it". Well it came! Hundreds have attended classes, sessions and parties at the Velodrome... they even held a pretty cool Cyclocross race there this fall. Look for interesting developments ahead in 2010 with the velodrome like their upcoming Boulder Madison Square Garden event in Jan(limited details out).
- Lyon's Bike Park Opens, Valmont Bike Park get started. Valmont Bike Park has been a work-in-progress for many years with the help of few like Bobby Knoyes and Mike Eubank this park has really made this dream of having a world class Bike Park a reality, really a first of its kind. Then early this summer with the speed of a Colorado flash flood the Lyon's Bike Park pops up and host the Teva games there. Now communities around the nation are getting Bike Parks.
- Lance and Ritter talk about future big race. This item received the most emails as big news for 2009 which I agree is big but if these talks are true then this will be HUGE in 2010 so stay tuned!.
- Bicycle Safety Bill Passes. Love it or hate it, the new bicycle safety bill came into law and has sparked a tension point with motorist and some question whether it has made cyclist safer.
- Lefthand canyon residents and motorist battle with Sunrise century
- ACA changes race schedules, some love it, some hate it.
- Walker Finch of Fort Collins wins #1 rank in expert ABA BMX for 12yr
- Trees vs. Bikes on 30th street
- Cyclist killed on Hwy 36
- UCI level racing returns to Colorado with 2 days of cross racing at the Boulder Cup and Blue Sky Velo Cup
- Colorado does well at Cyclocross Nationals
- Return of the Rocky Mountain Bike Show
- Best Bike Video 2009 best non-colorado video Performance
- Third time is a charm for the Koppenberg
- Lyons to Boulder Trail shoot down
- 2009 Master Track Nationals at 7-11 Velodrome
- Lance wins Leadville 100
- Most Bizarre Story, L'alpe D Flag
Single Speed World Championships came to Colorado
- Rider Assist Problem at Copper
- Sheriff Alderdern at it again
What big stories to come in 2010?
- Lance and Gov Ritter further development of "Big Race" in Colorado
- Valmont Bike Park to open
- Colorado's first centurion and/or Grand Fondo